Assam Floods: Over 26,000 Homes Damaged, Losses Exceed ₹1,000 Crore

Assam Floods Damage 26,681 Houses, Survey Finds; Total Losses May Cross ₹1,000 Crore

At least 26,681 houses were damaged during the floods that hit Assam in July, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Monday.

The state is continuing its detailed assessment of the flood damage. So far, officials have completed surveys across several affected areas.

Sarma made the announcement while distributing the second phase of interim financial assistance in Sivasagar, Charaideo, Jorhat and Golaghat districts.

Thousands of Houses and Livestock Affected

The ongoing assessment has revealed extensive damage across rural communities.

According to the state government, 26,681 houses have been identified as damaged. In addition, 18,887 cattle sheds have suffered damage.

The floods have also affected the state’s agricultural and traditional livelihoods. Officials have reported damage to around 41,000 handloom-related materials.

Livestock losses have also been significant. Nearly 5,98,691 domestic animals have reportedly been affected. Meanwhile, authorities have identified around 93,256 farmers who suffered losses.

Survey Process to Continue Into September

The government plans to complete the first phase of the assessment by August 28 or 29.

After that, officials will upload the survey information to a dedicated web portal. Affected families will be able to check whether their names have been included and whether officials have correctly recorded their losses.

The government will then accept complaints and suggestions from affected residents.

A second survey phase is expected to begin around September 10. Officials plan to update the revised information by September 15.

If necessary, the state could also conduct a third round of assessment.

Compensation to Be Paid Through DBT

The Assam government has already started providing immediate interim financial assistance to affected families.

The second phase includes relief of ₹15,000 per eligible affected household.

However, the larger rehabilitation payments will come after the survey process is completed. The government plans to transfer the approved compensation directly into beneficiaries’ bank accounts through Direct Benefit Transfer.

Sarma said officials have so far assessed losses worth around ₹480 crore.

However, the final figure could be considerably higher. The chief minister estimated that total damage could cross ₹1,000 crore after the complete assessment.

Housing Support Could Follow

The state government is also planning additional support for families who lost their homes.

After rehabilitation payments are completed, Assam will approach the central government for new houses for eligible affected families in Sivasagar and Charaideo.

The proposal could involve support under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.

This could provide a longer-term solution for families whose homes were severely damaged or destroyed during the floods.

Assam Faces a Long Recovery

The latest figures highlight the scale of the July floods in Assam. Damage has extended beyond homes and infrastructure to agriculture, livestock and traditional livelihoods.

The government is now focusing on completing the verification process before releasing larger compensation payments.

The next few weeks will therefore be important for affected families. The survey results will determine the extent of compensation and rehabilitation support available to them.

With the government expecting total losses to exceed ₹1,000 crore, Assam’s recovery effort could require substantial financial and administrative support in the months ahead.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements

Discover more from CMP Geo World

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading